Saturday, October 25, 2014

Shipshewanna

I went to Shipshewanna yesterday.  It is a big Amish area with buggies and horses on the roads.  I hadn't been down that way in decades.  It was interesting to see how it has changed and grown.  What a lovely day!  The weather was warm and the sun was out.  I went with Terry's mom.  We had a great time.  We picked up Terry and her friend Barb and went out to breakfast/lunch - brunch!  There are many lovely small bakeries in the area.  The one we stopped at was called the Bread Box.

 Now, I can not be trusted at bakeries.  I've been known to buy much more than I could possibly eat.  This was no exception.


Just look at those cases full of deliciousness.  Those pecan rolls were still warm from the oven.  You can't get any fresher or more delicious than that!  But since I couldn't decide which dessert to get, I got three.  I've fallen off the wagon so to speak.  I only ate half of the warm pecan roll and saved the rest to take home.

They also had jams, jellies and sauces there.  You could taste them so you knew what you were getting.  I got a couple. The pumpkin one is fabulous.  Then you could buy a whole jar of homemade pie filling.  How easy to make a pie, just pour it into a frozen pie crust.  Yes, I had to get one of those.  Then there were cookies and my favorite candy drops.  I was very bad.


Then in downtown Shipshewanna there are many little stores.  You could get a buggy ride if you wanted.  See the horse patiently waiting?

We went into one called Lacy Carved Eggs.  Very interesting.  There is a big building with lots of little stores inside.  One of the stores was a fabric store.  Now I'm in trouble.  I was looking for some more French General fabric as I have a pattern for a bag and want to get the exact fabric.  They didn't have it but they had this great quilt.

The bright colors attracted me.  So I bought five different fabrics to recreate this quilt.    I also splurged and got a Yoko Saito book. I've seen some of her stuff on other blogs.  The book has lots of projects in it.  I definitely want to make one of the smaller projects.
When you are in Shipshewanna, you must go to Yoder's.  They have such interesting shoes.  I like wild looking shoes so it was fun to see what they had.  They also have a ton of fabric.  Yes!  I found the fabric I was looking for.  Yeah!  At the fabric cutting counter was a machine that I remembered from my youth.

 It measured material.  As a kid, I used to buy 1/4 yard cuts of fabric to make doll clothes and the salesclerk would measure it out using the fabric measuring machine.

The retreat that Terry was attending was at a hotel with very nice grounds.  It would be a great place to walk in the mornings.  There were quite a few women at the retreat.

 I ran into one that I knew.  One side of the huge room was the shopping area.

 From the side it doesn't look that big but there was a lot of stuff there to shop from.  I tried to control myself.
Terry's mom and I had a great time and even were back home for dinner.  What a fun day!
A

1 comment: