I've been plugging away at finishing the Home Sweet Home Etui. I sewed the lining to the outside embroidered panels with help from some pliers. So the roof is the next challenge. I sewed the twisted cording around the edges of the two roof panels.
I attached the pieces of cording that will hold the roof open.
Then I began making the lining to the roof. There are supposed to be some fabric covered elastic bands on the roof lining. I had read that these were very difficult to do so I thought up something else. I went diving in my bin of laces and ribbons (boy, does that need to be cleaned out!). I came up with some old lace I bought somewhere and some 1/4 inch black ribbon. I decided to put that across the lining panels instead of the elastic bands. I think it looks pretty.
I love the material I am lining the box with.
I read the directions on joining the roof to the main body of the house. You are supposed to ladder stitch the whole bottom edge. I don't think I can do that and still have the roof open up. I was thinking and thinking how I could attach the roof. I thought of Betsy Morgan's Toy Box. I really liked how Betsy attached the top lid on that. So I got it out.
Hmmm, I think I can use that idea. But first I had to attach the cording to the roof panel. I decided to just stabilize the roof panel with that same tacking kind of stitch used on the Toy Box. Yes, I'm happy with that. Now I am on to the other roof panel.
Once I get the roof all done, all that is left (besides the smalls) is the tray that goes inside. Progress! I love that this project looks just like the book.
Too much rain today. I had to walk at the Y again. Luckily it was much quieter today.