Follow Thread in Hand by Email

Tuesday, March 28, 2017


It was a lovely day for walking outside.  The crocuses are starting to bloom.  Maybe it really is spring.

I had a question about what color I used for the skin of the mermaid.  Originally I used DMC 950 and it was too pale.  So I changed it to DMC 758.  I worked it on French Lace linen instead of the polka-dot.  I think the chart actually called for Weeks Pumpkin Patch which is a bit orangey.  But in the end it all worked out.

I have been working on the Wren.  I was really afraid of the needle lace.  I was worried that I couldn't make it look nice and neat.  It isn't perfect and I contemplated trying it again just to see if I could do it better that second time around.  I'm never good at doing a new stitch perfectly right off the bat.  I need some experience under my belt to get it right.  But so far it looks okay.

 This is going to be the back of the bird. The hole in the middle is where the thimble holder will go.  I remember worrying when I was working on The Owl and the Pussycat.  Each little part was challenging and I knew each part was not perfect.  But in the end it didn't matter.  Parts were covered up with other parts and hardly showed,  Each part was not the focus, it was just a tiny piece of the whole thing.  So I'm trying not to worry about it.  When I finish the needle lace, I'll re-evaluate whether to try again.  I'm learning some new stitches, that's for sure.


  1. The Mermaid's skin looks great in that color.
    Great progress on Wren.

  2. Great start in the Wren Amy!

  3. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.