Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Monica

Monica is no longer naked.  She is all done!

 This is a GPA design.  I got the half doll when I was at Williamsburg last December.  It was rather pricey as it is made in Italy.  She has some delicate parts.  The roses in her hair:

Her hands are very delicate too.

So to justify the cost, I just had to finish her.  She joins her sisters in Curio#2.  It seems like I have to learn all over again the best way to finish these half dolls every time.  I wasn't happy with how the last doll turned out.  Her skirt just didn't hang like I wanted.  So I tried not gathering the skirt and apron together.  Doing them separately worked better.  It is always hard to pull the gathers tight enough around some very small waists.  I tried folding over the top and sewing a placket but that didn't work.  So I took it out and tried again.  Better.  I wish I had wider silk ribbon to fold over the gathers of the apron.  But I just went with what I had in stash.  This is actually leftover ribbon from the last doll.  Okay, so she isn't perfect but she is done.

Here she is next to the Queen's Crown.

I went walking in much warmer weather this morning.  It is going to be a glorious day.  If everything goes well, I will have another finish to show you tomorrow!
A

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful work on both pieces! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been admiring your half dolls in earlier posts too. This one is just lovely! I was considering ordering one too... until I saw the price. Ouch! This past Saturday my husband and I went to a huge antique show in a neighboring town. One of the first booths had 4 antique half dolls! (Just the doll part.) I bought a nice one for $35! Then at a booth toward the end I found a dealer with antique half dolls which had various fabric skirts. One was Spanish inspired with black lace! One was an actual pin cushion. I had never seen (or maybe just not noticed) these sorts of antique dolls before! Thanks for your inspiring blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica is beautiful.
    Congrats on another pretty finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete