Sunday, January 13, 2013

Moving Right Along

I finished the back side of the Trevelyon Holly Ornament.  Yeah!

I have started the front side, surely it will go faster and be much neater than my first go.  I couched the rest of the gold passing thread and then added the paillettes also called metal sequins.  The package for the paillettes is such thin plastic that is nearly disintegrates when you open it.  I'm just glad I didn't have to pick them out of the carpeting in the sewing room.  I just scattered the paillettes around the design and didn't make them symmetrical.

I was afraid that too many of them would make it too polka-dotty.  Now to critique it.  I want to change the leaves as I don't like the stitch or the stripeyness.  I love the sparkle of the gold.  I want to make the berries all the same stitch (satin probably).  I'm not sure I like the gold stitches in the center of the leaves.  Considering my ineptitude in stitching this, it turned out pretty well.  It looks like the picture in the magazine.  I like the heavy chain stitch around the outside.  I'm not sure I used the Japanese needle like it is supposed to be used.  I just bent a quarter of an inch of the metal thread through the eye and kept clipping the thread when is started to unravel on the eye end.  I tried to couch down the end on the back as I couched the front.  I can't imagine you are supposed to knot the metal thread.

I got some more words on the Painted Lady Sewing Case.  I also started the "basement" on the back of the front (is that a contradiction?).


Oops I did it again.  I signed up for an online class.  Jackie DuPlessis is teaching "Rhapsody in Blue" starting next month through Shining Needle Society.  It seems I don't have to travel anywhere this year as so much of what I want to do is online.  I am waiting to see what Celebration of Needlework classes will be offered.  If there are two or three that I want to take, I may go this year.  They are starting to update their website.  I think they usually try to have everything posted by March 1.
Pinterest is a real time sink.  I could spend hours just looking at the embroidery.  Actually, I have spent hours looking at nifty stuff.
It is overcast and rainy today.  We may get some sleet later.  Crazy weather.
A

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amy. I have been reading your blog for sometime but have never responded. I too am in the casket class and have enjoyed seeing your journey and what you are choosing. I still have little ones at home 13 and 10 at home and my casket will be a work in progress for years to come.
    I also signed up for Jackie's piece on SNS. I just love this piece.
    Your ornament is coming right along and I think the leaves look great especially with the gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, if you don't mind my suggestion, perhaps change the shades of green on the leaves to be closer together so the contrast isn't so stark? Or make that central stem much narrower so it's more thoroughly covered by the chain stitch and is more of a 'suggestion' of darkness? That was reverse chain stitch on the stem, wasn't it (that's me - I'm hopeless at recognising stitches).
    What was the gold thread that kept unravelling at the eye end? That sounds strange.
    Metal thread you'll do a couple of tiny backstitches to secure, no no knots -they wouldn't hold.
    I'm racking my brains for something special about using a Japanese needle. The only rule I can think of is using really short length threads for metal thread.
    Thanks for such an interesting post! I hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in- I like technical talk, it helps me remember what to do and to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Where did you get the pailettes in the shoddy packaging from?

    ReplyDelete