Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Paying Stupid Tax


Every once in a while I do something really dumb.  I knew better and I just did it anyway.  That's what happened with the Mary Engelbreit ornament for Claire.  I cut off a hunk of material that I thought would be big enough.  I didn't measure or calculate or anything.  "This will probably be enough", I thought to myself.  Well, It wasn't.  Now I am paying stupid tax.  I spent all yesterday working on this and it was turning out well.

But the end of the wing is five threads from the edge.

I will console myself with the  fact that this is bigger than I thought it would be, bigger than what I wanted for an ornament  I have three versions of the chart for this ornament.  One from a kit and two from a book.  So I can stitch it again (ARGH) from a smaller chart if I want.  I can truncate the end of the wings just a bit or I can pitch it.  I hate to see my time and effort wasted. Not sure what I'll do.  Maybe I'll choose a different ornament to make.

I tried coloring the top design of the double casket.

I don't really like this design as it looks like it has been resized badly.  That flower looks squatty - wider that it is tall.  I think I'll change this design.  My original idea was a flowered oval with my initial "A" in the middle.  It really does help to color the design to get more of an idea of what it will look like.  I think that will be our homework for Lesson 5 - coloring our designs.  I have found out that Lesson 5 may be delayed due to computer problems.  I'm glad to know that as I will be less disappointed on Saturday if it is not posted.

Oh, well back to the drawing board.
A

 

3 comments:

  1. sorry about the ornament stitching going so badly for you, it is such beautiful one and I love the colouring.
    Maybe you can, when you mount and finish it, add a bit of lovely cotton lace on that left side and get the linen edge hidden under the lace...
    I am sure you will come up with a great finish in the end.
    Also love to see the progress on your casket, what a big project, it will be a true treasure for you.
    Keep up the spirit!
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear. How disappointing. I do hope you find a solution, Colouring in the design of the casket it s a brilliant idea. Sure makes it seem so much more real and will no doubt help with final decisions. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't throw it away! I think you might be able to apply iron-on interfacing to the back of the angel and then cut it out 1 thread away from the black backstitching and then attach it to some other fabric or something like that. I have no idea how big it is but it could be appliqued on to an afgan or scarf or pillow or box top or t-shirt or P.J.s or it could become an insert in a Christmas Card or????

    ReplyDelete