Thursday, November 19, 2015

Vacuum Cleaners

Sometimes I just don't think I have enough stitching to show you. Yesterday I stitched a strawberry.

So I thought "What do I talk about?"  Well, I've been thinking a lot about vacuum cleaners.  Let me explain.  I really have been trying to clean up my sewing room after reading the book "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up".  It gave me a different perspective on my stuff.  I decided that DH was right, I have too much stuff. It's taken me 43 years to finally admit that he is right.  I have too many kits. I was trying to get that big bag of stuff I bought over the last two years all sorted out and put away.  The book says to put everything in one big pile first.  Just so you know what you have.  I had totally forgotten about 40% of what I have.  I didn't put everything in one pile because the pile would be TOO BIG!  I just wanted to get rid of that big bag on the floor.  Some of the stuff I was given at a retreat.  I don't really want it but it was free.  It seems like at every retreat we get a bag of some sort.  It is really hard for me to throw away a perfectly good bag.  But I don't need twenty of them.  I am in the (bad) habit of buying certain designers when ever they come out with a new design.  While I was cleaning out I decided that I WILL NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT I DON'T LIKE.  DUH!  I will have to love something before I buy it.  I know that sounds like a no-brainer, but I have purchased a lot of stuff I don't even like.

Then I thought about the kits that I have.  They are like vacuum cleaners.  They cost about the same and they are cluttering up my sewing room.  Do I need a hundred vacuum cleaners?  No of course not.  This must be how DH sees my stash.  Tons of vacuum cleaners taking up space.  So whenever I see a new kit, I will ask myself, "Do I need another vacuum cleaner?"  Do I love it?  Don't even get me started on vacuum cleaner attachments (scrims)!  With all the money I save by thinking before buying, I could be driving a Lexus.
A

7 comments:

  1. haha! You can do this! I am watching for what happens here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always have a sale - fingers crossed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it's what you enjoy. :)
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. There isn't too much we can do..this stuffs are what makes us happy ! As you see you are not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you comparing our stash to vacuum cleaners. I have been slowly cleaning out some of mine. Most will go to my EGA chapter's annual "garage sale". Everyone bring s things they no longer want and usually finds things they do want. They pay what they think the item is worth not a set price. Makes money for the chapter and I usually go home with a lot less than I came with. Also, there are a couple of different folks who will sell for you (and a fee), whatever you want to sell. Always worth looking into.
    JHM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way - only what I love. I've gotten rid of (most) of what I don't love any longer. It's helped curtail my purchasing too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you, Amy. The stash should only contain what I LOVE! Just that one rule really helps. Can't wait to see what you decide :)

    ReplyDelete