Follow Thread in Hand by Email

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

There is no Place like Home

I'm glad to be back home and I feel almost recovered and back on Eastern Time. We had a great time and I got a little bit of stitching done. On the way out to California I sewed the backing on Holly and Ivy. Then last night I put on some twisted cord. It is now all finished.
Here is what we did on day one of our trip:

It was great to have time to get a few things done before we left at 2:30. The flights out to San Jose were fine. I thought the flight from Minneapolis to San Jose was so long. I wanted to stand and stretch as it seemed to go on forever. But we made it fine to the San Jose airport which appears to be brand new. It is not that large of an airport but everything is bigger our airport. We got our rental car. I had signed up for a Hyundai Sonata. But they were all rented so we got a Kia Soul on the recommendation of the girl working there. DH said it handled well. By the time we were ready to drive to the hotel, it was dark. Navigating a new busy place in the dark is a challenge especially with some poorly placed signage. We sort of got lost. We pulled into City Hall and called son#2 and he guided us to our hotel. It turns out that we were about 100 yards short of the street we were looking for. The Hilton Garden Inn was very nice and we enjoyed staying there. Son#2 and DIL came to our hotel and we all went out to eat at a very nice place. I wasn't keen on eating as it was about midnight our time. We ordered a cheese plate appetizer. I tried some new things on the plate: blue cheese (ugh), carmelized fig (didn't have any flavor except the carmel). I ordered a root beer float - the liquor version. It was awful, I could hardly drink it (too much booze). I watered it down a lot and it was almost drinkable. SH ordered the Shepherd's Pie. It was the best Shepherd's Pie I have ever tasted. The meat was savory. We visited and decided what to do the next day. We got to bed about 2 a.m. our time. Long day. I am embarrassed to admit that I was so tired that I didn't even brush my teeth.
Tomorrow I'll tell you about Day Two.

1 comment:

  1. Love the ornament - you stitch and finish beautifully