Follow Thread in Hand by Email

Monday, December 15, 2014

Going Home

I can't believe my Williamsburg trip is over.  Well it really wasn't completely over.  I had to fly home.  We checked out of the Kingsmill Resort and drove to Richmond.  It is about an hour drive.  It was an easy drive.  I heard that if you were going the other way to Norfolk there is a lot heavier traffic.  We found a Shell station just outside of the airport and remembered to fill up this time.  So we turned in the chocolate car and headed to the gate.  We ran into Giulia Manfredini who was with her husband.  They are taking the same plane we are to Detroit.

She is so friendly and talks to us.  What a nice person!  BFF and I eat breakfast and by the time we are done, the plane is boarding.  We get to Detroit just fine.  BFF heads off to her next flight and I head off to mine.  Mine has a slight problem.  There is no flight attendant for our flight.  She is delayed and will be here in a couple of hours.  They give us some snacks.  I just stitch and look at my Ipad, no problem.  She finally arrives and we board and are on our way.  This is just a short flight.  Not even long enough to serve drinks.  I'm sitting right next to a pilot.  He's watching some gladiator movie with Kiefer Sutherland..  This flight seems like it is taking a long time.  We get to within 20 miles of my airport and we circle a couple of times.  I find out that the visibility is very bad and we can't land.  So we are circling waiting for the visibility to improve.  It doesn't.  We don't have that much gas to keep circling so we fly back to Detroit.  ARGH.  So now everybody on the plane goes to the help center.  I scan my boarding pass and it gives me a flight at noon tomorrow!  So what do I do now?  Well, I call the place that gets you reduced prices on local hotel rooms.  I end up getting a room at a Wyndom Gardens near the airport.  Next problem:  I want my suitcase.  I go to the baggage place.  The lady there tries to discourage me by telling me it could take a couple of hours to get my suitcase.  I want my suitcase, period.  Luckily it only takes about 15 minutes.  Next problem, find the shuttle.  I manage that.  I get to the hotel at 9:30 p.m.  We started this process of going home before 8 a.m.  Oh well, that's how things go sometimes.  I have a place to sleep and I will be home tomorrow.  I have stitching.  The hotel has a free breakfast.  I even have a clean pair of undies.


  1. enjoyed hearing about your trip to Williamsburg and all the triumphs and challenges. Enjoy the season! Mel

  2. So frustrating!! Another reason I hate to fly!! Glad you were able to take it in stride and make the best of it! And so glad your trip to Williamsburg was so much fun!! Laura

  3. Sorry for the mishap but LOL'ed at your positive attitude!