Monday, February 15, 2021

Trying a Rose

 I stitch a rose to see how it would work out on a casket. 

I didn't have the called for silk mori so I substituted with Vikki Clayton silks. I wanted the rose to be more red than pink.  So first I had to back stitch the rose sections then fill them with satin stitch. Having made Jenny Adin Christie kits, I knew that to have a nice edge you must do split stitch around each section.  I did one section with split stitch and the rest not.  It is kind of a pain to do as it takes a while. I found that the satin stitch over the split stitch looks so much better and smoother. I was pretty happy with the colors I choose although the coverage seemed skimpy on the stems. The size is good to fit a casket. I didn't have the Japan thread called for which outlines the sections of the rose. So I went stash digging to find a thread that would do. I found some gold wire to couch around the sections. I was able to find some Krenik Japan thread #1 available on Amazon.  Some of the stems have that thread couched under them.

So now I know what colors I want and what method to use. I also know this will take some time to get these done.

Tomorrow I will show you my new start.

A

2 comments:

  1. These will be beautiful on your casket.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely design! It will look great on your casket. Did you mention which magazine it is in? It looks like it could be versatile!

    ReplyDelete