Pat wanted to know what thread I used for stitching on the lining of Mistress L. This is what I told her:
The thread I used is a light tan color of Kimono Silk Thread. It is a strong but thin thread meant for applique. (I think) It disappears into the threads which is what I wanted. It doesn't take that much thread so one spool will last you forever. I would have preferred an antique white color but I went with what I had on hand.
I went back to some Amy Mitten directions from one of her kits (Mute But Not Silent) to remind myself how to do it. I hemmed it all the way around, on the top too.
The whole sampler is not heavy so it can be displayed like a bell pull. I admit I put some double stick tape on a cabinet and had it hanging there for a while. I want to get a quilt type hanger of some kind so it can be displayed all the time. It was so much work that I want to display it and enjoy looking at it!
I counted out 6 threads from the stitched design on all four sides then I pulled out 4 threads. I measured out about 32 threads from the pulled out threads and cut off the rest of the linen off (scary!). The hem is about 11 or 12 threads wide when folded over twice. Now my stitched rows weren't even so some of the sampler has 7 threads on the left side but only 3 threads on the right before the pulled threads but I don't think it is noticeable. I photocopied the sampler to know how wide to iron the lining. I mitered the corners.
Yesterday I worked on the Owl of The Owl and the Pussycat. I was not happy with my needlelace so I cut it off and started again. I haven't done needlelace before that had dots in it. I am just getting the hang of it.
The second time around it looks much better. I can live with it. It is only about a half an inch square! I'm hoping I can get this piece done today.
It is a wonderful autumn day. Everybody has their leaves out in the street for pick up tomorrow.
Looking forward to talking to Claire and Evan this afternoon.