Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Old New Start

 A while ago I started this Rachael Kinnison ornament.



 It has been languishing in my unfinished basket for some time now. Rachael has been showing some sneak peeks of this year's ornament. 


I really want to sign up for this year's ornament but feel guilty that I haven't finished the other two that I have. So I decided to dig out last year's ornament and see if I could finish it. I thought I had it about half done. But that was a bit optimistic. I think I should call this a learning piece. That's because I have made many mistakes on it.


I decided (because I'm basically lazy) to scatter the spangles and beads instead of totally encrusting the background. Then I decided to do the book's spine. I didn't read the directions well enough. I used soie perlee for the chain stitch but goofed by using the same thread over the chain. No, I was supposed to use Soie Ovale over the chain. Then as I was working I realized that I hadn't finished the gold ribbon look. I needed to ladder stitch it. Rachael is a much better stitcher than I. Mine turned out a bit messy but I did it.




I think I can finish this as the front has the same design as the back.

More rain is expected today but my walking is done. 

A


3 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! And I have no doubt it will finish beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness that is a beautiful design.
    I am really looking forward to seeing it finished.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete