Friday, December 21, 2012

Presents

I got a lovely present in the mail.  It is so nice to get an unexpected one and one from half way around the world.  Thank you Margaret for the lovely package.  It had the stuff in it to make a darling Christmas ornament out of buttons.  Margaret's finished ornament looks way better than mine but I had fun putting it together.  Then last night I discovered one more button that should go on the ornament.



She sent me some chocolate and Russian Fudge .  I had never heard of Russian Fudge.  I think it is a maple flavored fudge - quite delicious.

I am quite skilled at making peanut butter fudge.  I don't dare make it as I will eat it all.
I love seeing the New Zealand calendar.  Each month has a picture of an outstanding piece of needlework.
There is one more ornament kit that I intend to make today.  Thanks so much Margaret!

I've been asked how I found out about stitching retreats that I have gone to.  A few years ago, I never knew there was such a thing as a stitching retreat.  I found out about Celebration of Needlework held in New Hampshire by reading stitching blogs.  Then I heard people talking about other retreats.  I often choose a goal for the year, like to go to a certain class or make a certain project.  My first goal was to meet the rock stars of the cross stitch world and go to a Shepherd's Bush class.  It was the off year and it wasn't in Utah but at Dyeing to Stitch in Virginia.  I went by myself and was adopted by a group of women who were wonderful to me and took me with them when they went somewhere.  I had a great time.  Then I made it my goal to take a CA Wells class.  Not easy to track down a class with her.  I kept watching the Needle in a Haystack website as she sometimes teaches there.  I ended up going to Needle in a Haystack for A Mermaid's Two Tales by Patrick's Woods where I saw the Blue Ribbon Sewing Box which became my goal for the next year.  Each class has led to something else.  I have some cyberfriends (thanks BFF!) that keep me informed of places they are going.  It turns out that there are lots of shops and guilds that have classes.  It was recommended to me to get The Attic newsletter and to join a guild (Kindred Spirits Sampler Guild) which I did.  So I keep my ear to the ground and consider myself very lucky to go to these events.
What will next year hold?   I am taking several cyber classes that will keep me very busy.  There are some new retreats that I want to try.  The Inspired Stitcher, a shop in Illinois, has a retreat that is close enough for me to drive to that sounds like fun.  I am signed up for the Amy Mitten cyberclass.  That will be challenging!
Of course, I have enough stuff in my sewing room to last until the next century.
A

No comments:

Post a Comment