Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Accidental Trip Day Three

We are all excited about the retreat starting today.  We know where the room is.  Since Arizona is three hours later than my time, I wake up very early.  I make myself stay in bed until 5:30 a.m.  I go walking at 6.  I think I'll walk around the block.  I walked a bit last year but just went so far and then turned around and walked back to the resort.  It is 80 degrees already.  Today is going to be a hot one.  I walk and walk.

 I decide I need to find a street I recognize. I'm sort of lost.  I go by a golf course.  Hey, there is a golf course near the resort.  Maybe if I turn and walk down by it I'll find the road the resort is on.  I keep walking.  I get a little worried so I ask a lady walking her dog if I am near the resort street.  She says yes I will hit the street but it is a ways down.  Finally I hit the street that I am looking for.  Whew!  I didn't mean to walk for two hours!  I guess you can't just walk around the block here.  I got 17.000 steps in!
We get breakfast at the hotel.  There are too many good things to eat.  We make our way to the classroom.

 Next to our classroom is a room that has snacks.

There are thread cabinets for sale as well as some boxes, kits, scissors and lace.  Oh my!  I am thrilled to have the opportunity to buy a shaker box that is just beautiful.

 Who could resist so many kits at bottom dollar prices?  Not me.
There is linen for sale too.

Class starts and we get to see the project.  Oh my it is beautiful.

 I ordered one of the burl boxes for it.  It is gorgeous too.


 We start working on the prestitching.  We are adding skirtex and batting and lining to the eight panels of the parasol.

It goes slowly as it is a lot of hand sewing.  Then we are off to a buffet lunch at the resort.  Again, there is too much to eat.  Poor BFF#2, she has to eat with her sore left hand (she is right-handed and broke her right elbow).  It is easier if she can just pick it up with her fingers.
Back to work in the afternoon.  It is fun to see stuff others people have made.  Rebecca brought last year's project - all finished.  I haven't done anything on last year's gaming bag.  She also has the most beautiful bird cage box by Gary Clarke.  I want to make one of those.

We work all afternoon and the snacks are so good.  By 5 p.m., I'm tired.  It's 8 p.m. my time.  Then we join others outside the bar and chat.  Finally we have dinner but I'm ready to go to sleep.  I don't adjust well to different time zones.  The food is great, I have the salmon and it is very good.
Back to the room and we crash.  The resort is hosting other groups.  One group is watching old movies being shown outside by the pool.  The sound is loud enough to be heard in our room.  We go to sleep listening to the movie Grease  .
A

5 comments:

  1. I love posts with retreat details. It's so fun to see what others do at their retreats. It sounds like you're having a great time. So sorry your friend was injured right at the start. I don't know that I could carry on like that after surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! I am waiting for you to get back to your little golden bird (hint, hint). lol Would it be a problem for you to check and see if Autumn Garden Gate by Moss Creek Designs is available? I noticed that you purchased some of Rae's kits and I have been searching a while for it. Take care & have FUN!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The box! Oh my, that box is gorgeous! And such a beautiful house you'll stitch for it (I love stitching houses on samplers). It's so much fun to hear about the retreat - thanks for sharing your good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your retreat sounds wonderful. Thanks for the travelogue. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The project and boxes are beautiful.
    Great stash!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete