Thursday, April 28, 2016

I'm Thinking

I started the stitching of the Flemish Ornament project.  I know a learning curve is involved having never stitched through heavy paper.  It is quite a challenge.  It is really hard to punch holes for stitching.  At one point I was using my pliers to help me push a pin through.  I couldn't really find a pin that was sharp enough but durable enough not to bend.  Then I wasn't sure which stitch to use for outlining.  Stem stitch, backstitch, split stitch?  I've only done one complete teeny circle.

 I've found that the thread will break if I pull too hard so I have to be careful.  I'm rethinking this whole thing.  I actually went shopping this morning to look for some more Duchess Silk Satin to experiment with.  None to be found.  So for now, I'm thinking. . . .

I had more success finishing the Just Nan Needlebook.  The front turned out great.


 I put the beads on and the rose center.  I stitched on the dragonfly.  So cool.  Then I put the ribbon pockets on the inside wool pieces.

 I sewed the lining to the front and realized that there was a gap between lining pieces that was small but you could see the seam allowance of the front.  So I tried to cover that up by overlapping the lining and giving it a scalloped edge - while hoping it would close okay.  I think it will work out.  I still have to sew on the snap.  So this baby is almost done.  Yeah!
A

4 comments:

  1. I hope you figure out an easier way for the ornament.
    The needlebook turned out so pretty.
    Congrats on another finish.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it odd that the paper went on before the stitching. i would have thought Duchess silk would have been sturdy enouh without it. Then with the embroidered fabric still stretched in the frame is when the paper could be added. Not only are you stitching through the paper but also the glue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would this help for piercing the fabric/paper? From Needle'N'Thread
    "For the pricking part of the pattern, I used the wooden shaft that holds a tambour needle, but instead of a tambour needle, I’ve got a tiny eyeless needle (a tattoo needle, to be precise) mounted at the tip. If you don’t have these tools lying about, never fear! A #10 embroidery needle works just as well, and you can hold it in your fingers to prick the pattern, or you can push the eye end of the needle into a cork, which will give you something more substantial to hold onto."

    ReplyDelete