Thursday, December 12, 2013

Boxes Done

The packages to my kids are sent off!  Now I can get back to stitching.  The step stool is on its way to Claire.  I made some mistakes on it but it will do.  The living room can be cleared of a multitude of boxes and packing materials.  Now I just have to figure out where to put the Christmas tree.

I got something in the mail yesterday that I won on ebay.  I had been looking for it for a long time and when it finally came up I made a bid and swore not to go any higher and if I won it, it was meant to be.  It is the Mary Beale design "Queen Victoria - a doll for scissors".

 It's small and cute and I had to start it.  I had to go diving in the floss bin to find the recommended colors.  I've already changed a color, as her eyes were too light a blue.  It is a fun stitch.

Then I got the last (!) lesson in the Mermaid's Treasures tutorial.  Yeah!  I can finish this.  Wow, this has been an all year project.  I want to get this finished before the Casket Keepsakes tutorial begins on December 21st - nine days away.

Luckily, we did not get the snow forecast for yesterday.  Every day here is an adventure when it comes to driving.  So far, I'm still alive.

Here is my caramel corn recipe from Deanna House who was a wonderful cooking teacher:
Oven-Made Caramel Corn
5 quarts popped corn
1 cup butter or margarine (butter!)
2 cups brown sugar firmly packed  (I use dark brown sugar)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1. Spread freshly popped corn in a large baking pan.  ( DH does the popping
and measuring for me and I use a large foil pan designed to cook turkeys in)
Put it in a 250 degree oven to keep warm and crisp
2. Combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt in a 2 quart heavy
saucepan.
3.  Place over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Continue to
stir and cook to 248 degrees on your candy thermometer (firm ball stage).
This takes about 5 minutes.  ( in what universe??  it takes me way longer
than that)
4.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.  Syrup will foam.
5.  Take popped corn from oven and pour hot caramel mixture over it in a
fine stream. (You can't pour it in a fine stream)  Stir and mix well.
6.  Return to 250 degree oven for 45 - 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
( I take it out of the oven and stir it around trying to get the syrup on
the bottom of the pan to coat the popcorn)
7.  Cool and package for gift giving or eating!

A

No comments:

Post a Comment